4.14.2011

Guest Blog - Ms. Fey

A search of the ooh la la archives revealed a post taking Vogue to task for having Tina Fey on it's cover. I can't disagree. She's the antithesis of a fashion icon though that is one of the things I love about her. I am, I must admit, in awe of Ms. Fey. I think she's a genius comedienne and, though this might be a stretch for some people to understand, I think she's the Woody Allen of my generation. She's intelligent, self-deprecating and totally of her time. Did I mention she's Greek? (Greek is the new Jewish?)

Articles about her since her book came out have been yawn-inducing but the Times just did this wonderful little write up. Love!

~JP Pullos

2 comments:

  1. Tina Fey as a comedienne, actress et al is something I have no problem with. Tina Fey on the cover of the premiere fashion magazine in the world is something I have a BIG problem with and is precisely why I (and I'm in good company, Grace Coddington agrees) hate hate hate celebrities on the cover of fashion mags. I am so happy I grew up in the era of the 'supermodel'...because the covers in those days destroy what is going on now. You know what models do really well...their job! That is, take pictures and model gorgeous clothes. They can do things that celebrities simply cannot in pictures. Tina Fey on the cover of Vogue was the last straw for me. She is most definitely the antithesis of fashionable ... so why is it ok for her to be on the cover of this mag? It will be ok when couch potatoes are being featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

    I have at least a half-dozen people try to reason with me on why Tina F. on the cover of Vogue was so 'of its time'...of course I read Anna W. reason. I have yet to hear an argument I accept.

    Oh and by the way...great post JP :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing you all fired up. Yes, I'm afraid the celebrity on the cover phenomenon has to be chalked up to diminishing revenues at the mag publishers. I got this strong impression watching The September Issue, especially that scene where they're talking about featuring lower-priced items because readers are on a budget. (Oh, wait, maybe that was from Devil Wears Prada - ack! I can't remember.) Anyhoo, I'll agree with you on this one.

    One celebrity I did love seeing on the cover of a fashion mag was Gabourey Sidibe on the cover of Elle. I ate that cover up!

    ReplyDelete