12.09.2010

Where were you?


30 years ago today we woke up to the news of John Lennon's murder. Of any other celebrity death, this was the one I remember the clearest...and that had the greatest impact on me. Prior to the tragedy, I always remember the Beatles playing in the house (my mom was a bit of a fan). But on John Lennon's death and the ensuing, round-the-clock coverage that occured, I (13, at the time) re-discovered the Beatles...for myself, this time. Genius then...genius now. How on earth could a mere human write something like this...

'Across the Universe'
Images of broken light which
dance before me like a million eyes
That call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a
restless wind inside a letter box
they tumble blindly as
they make their way across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world
Nothing's gonna change my world

Sounds of laughter shades of life
are ringing through my open ears
exciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which
shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world

(And check out a great article on BBC News on the thoughts of others on where they were when they heard the devastating news)

2 comments:

  1. so so sad.. i've been hearing really interesting reports on npr the past few days....

    i was waiting for you to post about this....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know me too well KJ. Actually, I had no idea what to say. Such a pivotal moment for me. It totally shaped the kind of music I love.

    ReplyDelete