3.11.2010

Librarian Chic - Always on my mind


Librarian Chic

(ly.BRAYR.ee.un sheek)
n. A fashion style that uses elements of, or is inspired by, the styles stereotypically attributed to librarians. (Courtesy of Word Spy)

I was thinking, last evening, about the concept of librarian chic and how I might fit into the image most people have of the look. Ms M. and I are devoted library employees and have been working in the public and academic settings for many, many...many years. We also both adore fashion and design and are interested in the way our work fits into those settings. That said, I would like to really re-devote myself (in general, and specifically with respect to this blog) to those items that fit into the idea of 'librarian chic' as a fashion goal. I am not sure how I intend to do this. Maybe a special section for items which I think might fall into this category...or maybe making the posts musing on 'librarian chic' styled a bit different. As a couple of actual librarians, I think Ms. M and I bring a different perspective to the idea than someone on the outside, imagining what it's like to work and dress for this unique world.

What do you think Ms. M? I am really just thinking 'out loud' ... wondering how we can really bring our work into these posts.

5 comments:

  1. this is a fabby idea!!! yes...

    "librarian chic mondays".... work day librarian appropriate-ness...

    how about also a fantasy version of what we'd like librarians to look, if only that were allowed!!!??? something along the lines of "metamorphic librarian chic"....

    as much as i hate to combine fun stuff (which i think about ALL day long!!!) and work stuff (which i can't stand to think about all day long)...i think this might make surviving the work day into something more meaningful!

    bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...see this is why I blog with you Ms. M...you have the most brilliant ideas! "Librarian chic Mondays" is genius!!! And 'Metamorphic librarians' is just an amazing idea.

    I know what you mean about combining fun and work...but I have a feeling you are right, this might actually make both even better.

    Hooray!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing...I think something that inspired me last night was a post of your that I re-read about the Kate Spade Doodle Pen. Your imagery of a librarian wearing and using one was so spot on.

    This is going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jolly good then! the lovely doodle pen... i'm always on the look out for you...awaiting its return!

    ReplyDelete