3.10.2010

mulling things over...




It's funny how searching for the "It" perfume leads you down memory lane...and how different scents define a version of you during adolescence and then adulthood. I ended up buying Stella McCartney's Stella Nude back in January. It was a total impulse buy and I loved the scent at Sephora, but wasn't so sure when my B. said it smelled like an old woman's perfume. Well, that's no incentive to wear it around him! But his opinion aside, I tried hard to like the darn scent. I'd invested in it so I kept saying I would learn to appreciate it. I'm stilling trying to appreciate it. I think it may have been too "heavy". Anyway, I continued on my quest for the next several weeks and started running into perfumes I'd worn in middle & high schools & college. I almost bought Anais Anais again just for the nostalgia factor..... What is it about perfume that makes you want to re-live your childhood all over again? My other two favorites were Lauren (who didn't have this?) & Paloma Picasso (a very unique scent, I think). So which perfumes take you back to your youth? (Here's what I ended up buying just recently & have been loving! This time...everyone around me likes it!)

2 comments:

  1. First of all...what a great post! You've opened up a real Pandora's box for me because my relationship with perfume is about as tumultuous as one could be. All my life, I have wanted a fragrance that I could just commit to ...for life! I have yet to find that scent and I am now resigned to the notion that it may never happen. It's not for trying...I was also a fan of Lauren (college) and Anais Anais (I haven't thought of that one in forever...can't believe it's still on the market). Some other notables for me...Polo by Ralph Lauren (yes, the men's cologne), Giorgio, Obsession and Escape(Calvin K) and Nude by Bill Blass. Unlike most, I have never invested in a Chanel perfume. It's not that I don't love them...I truly do. I just don't think they are me...yet.

    Today...well, for one of the first times in years, I am pleased and content with my fragrance. It's simple and unobtrusive...Grace by Philosophy.

    What a fun trip down memory lane Ms. M Kudos on a great post again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! my gosh... giorgio! how could i forget??? i loved this in high school.... obession---Yes! and escape--yes again! i love polo (men's scent) too!!! i think my dad used to wear it so i was sneak a whiff every now and then....

    i have heard of grace by philosophy and but am not sure of the scent now... must try it since you like it!!!

    i hate chanel 5... i tried and tried to like it but just couldn't ever do it. there really is a very distinctive "old lady" smell to that one! i love the bottle...and maybe if i were a gazillionnaire i'd buy one just for the bottle alone. But i really like Chance eau fraiche because it kind of borders on being a men's scent. b totally loves it too..he thinks he can get away wearing it! when i saw the ads for it i always thought it looked too "young" for me but i was pleasantly surprised!

    just what is it about perfume?

    ReplyDelete